An AMERICAN MONSTER MUSICAL
Book by Sam French & Kyle Wilson
Music & Lyrics by Kyle Wilson
Musical & Vocal Arrangements by Joe Mendick
Harry Fine and Harvey Finkler are scientists and former lovers now leading different lives - Fine as the hotshot celebrity Sexiest Man in Science and Finkler as a closeted Sunday school teacher living with his “beard” in the Midwest. But their disparate paths merge when a Godzilla-esque monster invades the United States. With no end to the bloodshed in sight, and with Congress in the throes of a government shutdown, it’s up to the two gay scientists to reunite to save the country from a fate worse than Mothra.
"Watching Kragtar: An American Monster Musical gives you the feeling that you are watching a show that is about to enjoy all of the success of Rent. Witty, sharp, and relevant, with a Broadway-caliber cast and crew, this original musical by Sam French and Kyle Wilson, as directed by Benjamin Viertel, has all the potential to be a new cultural icon."
- Saima Huq, StageBuddy
- February 2014: Workshop production at the Playground Festival for Independent Student Work at Carnegie Mellon University
- August 2015: Staged reading at Pearl Studios NYC featuring Lucas Steele (Natasha, Pierre... 1812; Threepenny Opera) and Trevor McQueen (Annie Get Your Gun), directed by Benjamin Viertel and produced by THIRD SPACE (http://www.thirdspacetheater.org/)
- April 2016: Performance of the first half hour at The Silent Barn in Bushwick, Brooklyn, as part of Title: Point's Interrobang New Works Festival, directed by Benjamin Viertel.
- April 2017: Staged reading at The PIT Loft featuring Brian Muller (Cruel Intentions: The Musical), Sam Seferian (Wicked), Molly Griggs (Hello, Dolly!), and Natalie Walker.
- December 2017: Premiere production at the West End Theater, produced by Theatre Now: New York (Thomas Morrissey & Chris Giordano), directed by Benjamin Viertel, starring Will Branner, Harron Atkins, Annie Yokom, Bailey Purvis, Jimmy Nicholas, Mary Nepi, Zanny Laird, and Jackson Perrin, music directed by David Carl, scenic design by Rodrigo Escalante, costume design by Kelsey Sasportas, lighting design by David Sextom, sound by Jessica McIlquham, choreography by Mary Nepi, Jimmy Nicholas, and Benjamin Viertel
MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
PHOTOS BY BRYCE CUTLER, COPYRIGHT THEATRE NOW NEW YORK
SELECT SONG DEMOS AVAILABLE BELOW